“I love opening doors for people and supporting them as they go after their dreams—smartly. We really are changing work and changing lives!”
What I Do at AssistU
- Born: Baltimore, where I still live. I love Baltimore!
- Family: I believe that you can’t choose your blood, but you can choose your family. My family is amazing!
- Today: Married for 30+ years to my beloved Dominic. No kids. Two cats. Three businesses (AssistU, a coaching practice that allow me to make a difference in the world, one woman at a time, and I work with people nearing end of life).
- Future: I’m not goal oriented, so I love watching the future unfold. Serendipity, for me, is proof of natural good in the world.
A cool story:
The summer I was to be 16, my father told me to get a job as soon as school ended for the year. I didn’t believe he meant it, so I didn’t even look for one and set about lounging by the pool every day. By the end of June, he asked if I’d found something, and when I said I hadn’t, he told me I had a week to get a job, or he’d find one for me. I didn’t believe him about that, either; apparently, I wasn’t so quick, back in the day!
Ten days later found me in brown, double-knit polyester, taking orders at the drive-thru window of a fast-food joint owned by a family friend. I hated that uniform; sweating in it was tortuous, and perpetually smelling like a french fry made it worse. In fairly short order, I hustled myself off and applied for a job at the Gap. It was while working there that I decided that the only work that would ever really be for me would be work that I found fun.
Fast forward 17 years. AssistU was newborn, and a friend—a wise and talented businessman—asked me to share my exit strategy. “Exit strategy?” I queried. He countered: “You need to know how and when you’re going to leave this behind, and what you want out of it when you leave.”
I couldn’t tell him then because I’d not yet even really begun. And 20+ years later (that’s today if you’re trying to follow along), I’m delighted beyond words that I still can’t tell him. In some respects, I still feel like I’ve only scratched the surface of what’s possible. I’m not anywhere near ready to think about leaving this behind. AssistU is some of the best fun I’ve ever had!
Quirky Things About Me
- I am here to love. That’s the sum-total of my purpose in life. There isn’t a single thing I do that isn’t completely wrapped in love.
- I’m a confirmed voluptuary. If it’s not comfortable, it’s not for me.
- I believe that when there seem to be two options, one should always choose the third—because that’s where all the magic will be.
- I love cuddling baby animals. Besides the domestic pet babies I’ve cuddled, I’ve also cuddled the following wild/farm babies: lion, giraffe, tiger, kangaroo, ring-tailed lemur, kinkajou, cow, and goat.
- If I were to change professions today, I’d become an attorney.
What I Love Most About AssistU